Beneath Iowa City is a black blind and beautiful warren riven with secret passages. We are musical rabbits, noisemaking ferrets, multiplying in the spring chill.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wolf Eyes, June 27th, Picador

The show was great for a few reasons. First and foremost, there was the the debut of Crackity Sax, the newest project from Kelly of Escape the Floodwater. This three-piece set the crowd of cynical hipsters into a frenzy with their completely straight-ahead take on "Minnie the Moocher" - you might know it better as "The Hidey-Hidey-Ho Song."

ebay 036

I have to shamefacedly admit that I was a little to preoccupied with photography to offer more than a superficial take on Trash Dog's set, but on the plus side I think I accidentally took a picture of Jeff's soul:

ebay 024

I think that means I control him now.

Finally, and maybe most crucially, the pairing of Lwa and Wolf Eyes really helped me pin down exactly what kind of creature Lwa is. Wolf Eyes is a serious frenzy of ramshackle energy and full-bore performance. Their guitarist - is that the right term? - really left it all on stage.

ebay 081

Lwa, even though they gesture towards an air of masculine menace with their single bare bulb and no shirts, are not at all the same kind of band. They're practically Japanese in their restraint, minimalism, and careful, slow development (and I'm not talking Merzbow here). They're also really coming into their own - this was easily the best set I've seen from them.

No comments: